Vaginismus Symptoms in Younger Women
- Sexual penetration seems physically impossible despite repeated attempts—there seems to be a barrier for intercourse to occur. The woman may feel physically abnormal or wonder if her vagina is too small; however vaginismus is responsible for +99% of these cases.
- Vaginismus is the main cause of unconsummated relationships where it is a female issue and not the man's erectile dysfunction.
Other early symptoms SOMETIMES noticed (though not in connection to vaginismus):
- Difficulty inserting tampons from youth even after repeated attempts.
- Difficulty undergoing pelvic/gynecological exam with speculum.
Symptoms in Mature, Sexually Experienced Women
- Unexplained, ongoing sexual tightness, pain, or discomfort, though sex used to be fine and not an issue. It often follows temporary sexual pain experiences, pelvic/medical issues, and menopause. Typical examples include having ongoing problems following a difficult natural-birth delivery of a child; a urinary tract infection; a yeast infection; an STD; age-related changes in natural lubrication; rape or assault; a pause of many years between spouses and intercourse; or other similar events.
- The ongoing, reactive tightness can be perplexing—"Why does sex still hurt?"; "Why is it always uncomfortable now?" Vaginismus persists after the initial problem is resolved or healed and will usually continue to cause problems until it is treated.
"Completely Overcome Vaginismus is a great self help option for women who are ready to take control over their vaginal penetration problem. Lisa and Mark (Carter) designed a thorough educational program firmly based on current research knowledge and written with the sensitivity of a couple who know the fears and hopes that come with working to find solutions."Elke Reissing, Ph.D., C.Psych. Human Sexuality Laboratory, University of Ottawa
"I have treated women with vaginismus for over 20 years. Your products, and especially your books, are very helpful. They take the woman through a series of steps from education about vaginismus, exercises to prepare them for fixing the problem, and beyond. I use your materials, along with coaching women through difficult times and helping their partners understand what is happening, all with an excellent success rate. As you say, vaginismus is highly treatable. Congratulations on your most helpful work."S. Ann Hartlage, Ph.D., Director, Marital and Sex Therapy Program
"I am finally responding to your books: They are the best we have ever seen!! We will use them for our clients from now on. The content, set-up of the content, thoroughness of descriptions and diagrams make it so easy to follow. Everyone should know about your books."Dr. Clifford & Joyce Penner, Therapists & Authors, Passionate Commitment
"I am a Clinical Psychologist working with women with Vaginismus here in Sydney, Australia. I was impressed with the presentation of all your products – they all look good and the book and website are informative and both easy to read, and understand. The patients I see who have received your products have been helped immensely by the prompt service; the website; and the follow up service. This package has helped them to learn and understand about Vaginismus and feel supported in their quest for overcoming this difficult and often misunderstood problem."Jessica Medd, Clinical Psychologist, Dept. of Urology, Concord Hospital Concord, N Australia